01 June 2011

Pune - hit or heat

I came to Pune almost 2 weeks ago.

This is a personal plus official trip to Pune. My team mates sit here and my in-laws stay here too. So it was a double joy in coming to Pune. But coming to Pune or for that matter any place in Maharashtra requires a lot of mental preparation, which I did 2 weeks before coming here.

Something has struck me so badly since I have arrived here that I almost forgot that I am a regular blogger. My senses have become numb, my mind has become like a blank slate. When I tried to evaluate what this "something" is, I realized that the traffic, pollution and heat have had a profound effect on me and have almost zapped me.



Roads are teeming with vehicles and people and vegetable vendors and cyclists and 4 wheelers and of course, 2 wheelers, how can I forget them? There is literally no place to walk for poor people like me who do not own a 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler here. We (people walking on their feet) are the most neglected category on the roads and anyone (2 wheeler riders) can come from anywhere and give us a nice shock and the next moment we would be sitting/sleeping on the road, wondering.. We were nicely walking, what happened suddenly!! Before we realize, the vehicle has already sped away and we have to get up on our own and go home feeling like a fool. And yes, traffic signals are not meant to be abided. They are just there for the sake of it. It is very common trait of a Punekar on a 2 wheeler or a 4 wheeler to speed away just when the signal is especially red !!

If you try to argue with any Punekar (people who are here since generations) you will feel very amused and it will give you an insight into their real nature. No matter how wrong they are, they will always point out a finger at you. They are proud of things which they haven't done and they are always ready to go to any extent to prove their point which is often wrong. I think there is something in the water of Pune, which makes people so adamant and blunt and haughty.



The heat in Pune is unbearable. I keep wondering, if I am having a bath with water or with sweat. The moment I am away from fan, I am helpless. I miss Bangalore like crazy for it's wonderful weather. The traffic problem is there in almost all metro cities, but Pune has gone from bad to worse. There are just concrete jungles everywhere due to which the temperatures have soared like crazy in the past 5-10 years. But I also little awareness about the pollution problems here. No trees left, no new trees planted, no cleanliness. People use cloth bags for shopping, would that suffice? Dunno..

It is good to come here for some time, be with people whom I love (in-laws, a few friends) and go back to namma Bengaluru. Bengaluru is my home town since past 6 years only, but has grown closer to heart, because this city has a lovely weather for most of the months in the year, this city gave me a decent job, my husband rose to a good position, gave me some wonderful friends and most important, our dream house.

My trip to Mumbai, Dombivli to be precise, will give birth to a few more posts, keep watching for more!!

:-)

2 comments:

  1. u hv become pakka bangalorian............ criticizing pune since the moment u went there.....i dont know really as how bad pune has become and also how i m gng to react when i think of settling down there but goshhhh mrunal...pune is not tht bad...common...the mentality n 2 wheelers r the "pehchaan" of pune...how can u forget tht.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. helo mrunal......is it ok if i make it mrunal....liked abt pune very much..........looking forward to read abt dombivali

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...