25 January 2019

थंडे थंडे पानी से नहाना चाहिये

It's snowing outside. A thin white sheet has spread over the place. The trees are covered with snow too. The temperatures are running in minus for a week now even in the morning. And what could probably happen, early in the morning when T is rushing for his school and A to his office, which gives you a jolt in the cozy heated house and literally sends shivers up your skin? The warm water has stopped coming in the basin and in the shower and the bathroom has literally only chilled water running from the tap. We frantically try to check the main water tap connection, they are working fine. We run to the kitchen to check if there is a problem in there, but thankfully there is hot water in the kitchen tap. Now, what's the agenda?


Our owners stay in Malaysia. The agent who is supposed to help us out is away on vacation. The neighbors are either very old to ask for help or have left for work in the morning. A, as usual, gives me instructions what to do, how to go about it and how to get it done on a war footing. I feel anguished. I feel helpless. I ring the agent. He is unavailable. Then I check with Ute, my sweet neighbor and she instructs me to call the agency who is responsible for the maintenance and organization of our and neighborhood buildings. I call the number of the building management company and a very sweet lady answers it.

I start talking in German. There is a sense of urgency in my voice. The lady on the other line is calm and composed. She listens to all what I say and very politely tells me she can't help me today. If something happens, it will happen only on Monday. I go silent in my head. I am numb. Really?! There is no hot water in the bathroom in this peak winter and this lady is very calmly telling me that she will send someone only on Monday. She promises to call back again with information if anyone will be coming today to attend. 2 other people call me from different numbers, but from the same office and I tell them my problem. I have hopes, something will move them. Something will happen today, the problem will be solved today itself. They all have the same answer, nothing can be done today. They will "try their best", but can't promise anything. I tell them to do their best and the line goes blank.

I sit down for 10 minutes listless. Is this what happens in a developed country like Germany? No manpower available for emergencies? Everything happens at a later date and day? Everything runs on schedule and appointments? Do you need to see a gynecologist urgently with a problem which you have faced recently? Wait for 6 months or even better, the doctor doesn't accept new patients at all. So call at other 20 places and if they like your voice and your insurance company, they might show you some sympathy and give you an appointment after a month or so. For common coughs, colds, allergies, you need to take an appointment. You may actually feel ok in a week till you really get an opportunity to see the doctor. There was a problem with the cable television network provider and I had registered a complaint on 4th December for which I got a reply on 15th January. What was I supposed to do for all these days? Watch the grey screen of the television?

Can you imagine? No, as an Indian, I can't imagine. I won't be able to accept and comprehend this. One call away in my apartment in Bangalore, a plumber or an electrician or a service provider comes immediately. They value the customer and complete the work as soon as possible. There is hardly any waiting time for important things like these. Manpower is also available in abundance. Anyways, there are always pros and cons of staying in different countries.

I have been waiting for the whole day if, by chance, an exception happens, hoping against hopes that someone comes up to solve the problem. No one has turned up till now, it's 4 pm. The weekend has started. So all my hopes are dashed and now over the weekend, we will have to sing the famous Sanjeev Kumar song "थंडे थंडे पानी से नहाना चाहिये" (one has to bathe with cold water) and wait for a miracle to happen on Monday.

I seethe in anger. I wail, I whine, I grumble, I whimper. This is not done! A day spoilt in anticipation of a call or of a person who was urgently needed!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...