26 December 2012

White Christmas



I had never seen a snowfall in my life of 23 years. And what a sight it was when I really got to experience it!

Way back in 2002, I got an opportunity to visit my dream destination, the country, where I was able to communicate with the people, understand them and get understood in return. I was in Germany, the country, which amazed me with its picturesque and clean natural beauty and the Germans left me awestruck with their punctuality and diligence.

We happened to get invited by a German friend of ours for Christmas that year, which is actually not very common. Germans prefer celebrating this festival with their close family members. But then this friend was really sweet and she went out of the way to make us feel comfortable at her place. Her parents had decorated their house beautifully. There was a small pond at the backside of the house, where they had reared gold fish. I was wondering, how the fish survive when the water freezes. Do they stay below the thin crust of the frozen water or just die off?

There is usually an excitement in the air amongst the Germans regarding whether it will be a White Christmas or a normal one. Almost every person in Germany awaits a White Christmas. But not all parts of the country receive snow at the same time. When we went to my friend’s place on 24th December, it was just freezing cold and snow was nowhere in sight. But on 25th, suddenly small flakes of snow began to drop on our hands when we were roaming in the backyard and within no time, the whole place was filled with snow. It was so soft and tender!! We shouted and we jumped in joy; we danced like small kids with the snow flakes on our hands and hair and all over our clothes. For my friend and her parents, it was a usual phenomenon, which happened every year in their lives, but for us, it was “the” first time and it was so very beautiful.

We tried to capture the snow flakes in our cameras, but then whatever human senses capture, can’t be captured by any other technology, be it the latest and the advanced, I believe. I accumulated all those lovely sights and scenes and the memories in my eyes and then digitized them in the brain and they are so very fresh and alive even today as if I am experiencing them even today! Each snow flake was different from the other. It is said that not a single snow flake resembles the other with respect to its shape and dimension. Isn’t it the wonder of nature? Can human beings replicate the snow flakes just like the natural ones? I do not think so! Nature has kept many of its secrets still as secret and that is the most wonderful and amazing part which really leaves me dumbstruck. Technology has no doubt made our lives simpler, but the natural beauty when experienced in abundance takes you to a different meditative state altogether. You start believing in the almighty and that unseen power which guides one and all.

We got a very picture of nature in Germany. People have maintained the sanctity of all the natural reservoirs, be it rivers, lakes, forests, or even man-made gardens for that matter. Germany is so technically advanced, but it is one of the most Eco-friendly and Eco-conscious countries in the world and takes a lot of care to not harm nature in any way and tries its best to maintain the balance between nature and man.

I so very wish that we Indians get inspired from them in this regards!


1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Nature and it's preservation I think we Indians have a lot to learn.

    On my recent trip to Thailand, I was amazed at the way the people treat their surroundings. Though not economically as strong as India, the country understands nature and belives in drawing a thick line between the natural world and the man made world and not let the later disturb the former. And the result was there to see... pristine beauty and harmony between both the worlds!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...