21 December 2012

Secret Santa



Christmas is just around the corner.

So, this whole week, we celebrated "Secret Santa" in my department.

Our names were written on chits and they were thoroughly mixed together. Then we had to pick one chit each. The name on the chit would be the person to whom I would be giving gifts without revealing my identity. I immediately got working. On the first day, I gifted the person only 4 candies. Then the other day, I made a book mark for him and gave it along with a few fruit goodies. Today was the day where the names would be revealed to each other and so I bought him a nice pen so that he can use it for working and writing. We all gathered at 2:30 pm in the bay and were introduced to each other. The person to whom I gifted the goodies and other stuff was so overwhelmed on seeing that I was his secret Santa that he had no words. This person was in my team, but he never spoke to me or interacted with me. He hardly smiled at me and now suddenly there was a change in his attitude, the ice was broken and he again came to my desk to say thanks.

Atul has been regularly helping some or the other "needy" and "noble" organization without making himself known. I have been sponsoring a girl's education all these years and soon, I will start funding a scholarship by the name of my late grandfather, Mr. Devidas Vinayak Velankar, who himself studied only till 8th class, but went on to become a Manager of Ballarpur Textile mills in Punjab. He always stressed the importance of education and I would really like to help some one who is diligent, hard working, but is unable to take education due to his/her circumstances.

What joy and bliss it is to give! I felt really nice in playing "The Secret Santa". And in return even I got some nice chocolates from my secret Santa. I think this circle continues in some form or the other. You help someone and when you are in need, help comes in some form or the other, not necessary from the same person or source. Sharing, giving gives immense pleasure and a satisfaction which no other stuff can really give. It is said charity begins at home. The newer generations are becoming so very self-centered and are lost in their own world of modern gadgets nowadays that they hardly understand what it means to give and get blessed in return. I really wish I am able to inculcate the virtue of giving and sharing in Tanay so that he in turn nurtures some one else on this virtue.

1 comment:

  1. Even we had a Secret Santa event in our office and I must say, the surprise face of every one was worth watching. It was as if there was a shower of happiness in the floor and the usual sullen and serious floor bursted out with giggles.

    It's so true that the joy of sharing and seeing the smile on the other person's face can really make you feel proud of your small effort :-)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...