29 March 2011

What's cooking tonite?

I am not a very good cook like my grandmom or my mom-in-law.

But I can manage to cook something (edible) if it is really necessary. Like in situations when the cook doesn't turn up, I have a chance to test my culinary skills and manage to cut out a decent (looking and tasting too!) dish.

Last evening, I was very tired, had a long day at work and to add to my woes, my cook didn't come as she was not well. I generally reach home at 7:15 pm and after that the very thought of cooking kills me. But that day I had no choice. I did not want to order anything from outside and so I mustered up courage and decided to make something.

I am good at making any variety of rice! I mean I can play around with rice in the literal sense of it! The most trustworthy dish of rice is Khichadi, which can never go wrong and in which I can put all the vegetables available in my fridge and add some powders (garam masala powder, dhania powder) here and there, put the rice and the vegetables along with the powder in the pressure cooker and there a yummy dish is ready within no time!

Yummy! I am lovin it already!



I needed some side dish to it. What could it be? I had got some khara boondi and curd. So dahi boondi (my all time favorite) with a dash of salt, pepper or red chilly powder, coriander leaves helped me to complete the dinner menu. And I also added the pickle and the papad to dinner which decorated the Khichadi even more.



After finishing cooking, around 8:30-9 pm, I realized that I was not tired anymore and the cooking actually made me fresh and it proved to be one of the stress busters. Atul, my husband sat for dinner and I served him the food. He relished the khichadi and ate it well. Actually, he never complains about anything I cook. He always says it is good! This is one thing I really adore in him! I know how I have cooked, but still that makes me proud and happy when he says that it tastes great!

Now, I have decided to cook at least once a week myself so that I get to learn something new and it also chases my stress away! And who wouldn't want praise from dear hubby? ;) Isn't it?

What is your stressbuster? Cooking? Gardening? Painting?

1 comment:

  1. Kichidi is my all time favorite dish and reading this I know what's going to be my lunch tomorrow... Kichidi with aloo fry!!! Yum!!!

    Looking forward to read more of your culinary realisations... Am sure your weekly tryst with cooking is goona add lot of excitement to a rather boring weekday evening.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...