06 March 2011

Dil se

What do you generally like doing on an evening, where you just want to engage with yourself?

Drinking brewing coffee or hot ginger tea

Eating onion rings (kandaa bhaji) or samosas

Listening to songs of Kishore da, Asha tai and Gulzar or listening to ghazals or any instrumental music or watching funny, bone tickling comedy movie

Reading books like P. S. I love you or Love Story or Deepak Chopra's Who will cry when you die

Viewing photo albums of school or college days. I am not talking here of the digital pics here, but the ones which our parents clicked, innumerable of them which captured all the moments and fun we had as kids and our parents still consider them as their greatest possession. It was indeed the trend till the digital boom invaded our lives and pushed those albums and black white photographs into oblivion.

Reading old hand written letters by a friend or a relative. You might be wondering, in this age of e-mails and web chats, who writes letters? But, my aaji writes letters to my mavshi, who is in US and mavshi replies to those letters as she knows very well at this age, aaji won't be able to write e-mails or do web chats. My mother-in-law wrote letters to me before I got married. We got to know each other better through letters as that time my mother-in-law was not techno savvy. My father-in-law has also written a letter to him after he visited us in Bangalore after the wedding for the first time and when we bonded really well. My mavshi, who was just 1 yr older to me also wrote me letters from Pune when we both were in college. I really enjoy reading those letters now and re-visit those days which have etched permanently in my memory.

Making greeting cards, book marks and candles for my friends on their special occassions. I might not be making cards as good as Archies, but there is a personal touch in my cards and many good wishes and blessings which often do not come out that properly in a card which we buy in the shops. Bookmarks in the books of my friends remind them of me and that is a very good chance to be in each other's thoughts and prayers, isn't it?

Talking to a friend, who has been out of touch for a while now works wonders too. Just thinking about the lovely bond which we shared at that time and the wonderful time which we spent together in those days freshens us up and gives us a new energy and lease of life. Talking or rather sharing helps us in releasing a lot of pent up emotions and it also aids in healing mental worries, which do not really have any physical form of medicine in today's modern world. People, who do not think talking is a tonic, please excuse me. You need to really have someone to open up your heart to and then tell if talking is really a waste a time or something else.

I asked Atul about his "Dil se" moments and he instanteously replied "Sleeping"...
My enthusiasm of asking him that question ended that very moment. Then he added, he would go for a walk in the evening, just like that without having any aim of going somewhere in particular. Yes, I second him on this. I like it too, to just go for a walk in the park or an area which has lot of green lushy trees and watch people in the park or listen to the sounds of birds and feel the cool evening wind. That suddenly makes me relaxed and unwind.

So friends, these are a few things which I really like doing..

Dil se

What are your Dil se moments??

6 comments:

  1. My Dil se moment would be sitting with few close friends, playing scrabble and having tea and pakoras.
    When there aren't friends around, I would love to snuggle in my bean bag with a good book and hot brew of black tea.
    But to top all my Dil Se moments would be sitting in a park full of trees and browse through the blogs of my friends and instigate my inner writer to bring out its creative best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not any particular dil se moments. infact whatever u had said i do all of them...it really depends on the mood....but having coffee with amit...listening kishorda songs together, visiting a close friend, gappanchi maifal with relatives, a relaxed massage in the parlor is also many a times very welcoming.........or yesss watching a movie.......but i do like to admit tht i am not among the fortunate ones who had written or received any kind of hand written letters from anyone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for writing on this subject. Truly everyone of us has these “Dil se” moments in their free time.

    I have a few Dil se moments common with you, such as viewing old photo albums. I like to view these photos on my laptop also….I get lost into those pictures for hours…And there are some Dil se moments of my own as well.

    I really like to listen to my favorite songs on Youtube. On some afternoons or evenings, when I have nothing important to do, I just search for my favorite songs on Youtube and listen to them again and again. It really gives me a lot of pleasure. I have a lot of my favorite songs on my mobile as well. But I don’t have lot of them on my mobile…I realize, we connect to some songs for some special reasons. We have some special memory of particular songs and when we listen to them, we actually revisit those happy memories.

    Then one more thing which I do Dil se is going through my old notebooks. The notebooks which I used for German classes, specially. It brings back again all those happy memories of that time. Who does not like to revel in happy old memoriesJ…

    One more thing which I do Dil se is tiding up my cupboard. I like to keep everything properly in its place and arrange everything properly. While doing that you find some accessories, things, clothes…You have some favorite shirts/clothes. You then remember when you bought them, how did people react when you wore them first time….While doing this task you also realize that you own so many things, it gives you a satisfaction that you are in a position where you can buy clothes/things that you like.

    Nobody knows this, but I also like to sing when I am alone. I sing only when I am alone…my favorite songs.. it gives me immense pleasure…

    Taking a walk in the park is also my favorite thing to do.. every time I pass through the lanes in my neighborhood, I can appreciate the beauty of nature in the form of trees, plants, flowers etc…

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dil se moment would be sitting in balcony in my house, an interesting book in one hand, some munchies by my side and cool bangalore weather !!
    But after quitting job, the best part of rhe day for me is the evening walks I take with my friends. That one hour is absolutely refreshing and I look forward to it! We women do need to speak our hearts out as well out good health!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My "Dil Se" moment is when I play with my niece, seeing her improve and learn new skills. Now she can show clock, Ganpati bappa, her abhyas etc.

    Another one is when I am on some Himalayas trek. I just love to be in nature, far away from daily life and worries, Enjoying the nature to fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Dil se moment changes time to time.
    But at this point in time I want to sit with my family (mom, dad & sis) @ my home.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...