18 March 2020

Stay calm and fight the Corona virus!

Corona Virus has brought the whole mankind to a standstill. It has held the entire world to its ransom. From the time it was first discovered in Wuhan, China, it has claimed many lives and has literally terrorized people. Many countries are in a lockdown state, and the movement is restricted. Social gatherings are a far-off dream now. No one knows how long it will last and how long will this phase go. Every country is trying it's best to cope up with the crisis and making all the arrangements to slow down it's spread. Europe has been grappled with it too, and desperate measures are taken to curb the spread in every possible way. The schools are closed in the town, where I stay in Germany. My husband is instructed to work from home, and the institute where I teach is closed down too. Till 19th April, we all are home. We had to devise tricks and tips to keep ourselves engaged and not bang our heads against the walls out of sheer boredom.

T being at home, it is the biggest challenge for us to keep him engaged. His school has given homework for the next three weeks. The Easter holidays are meant to be enjoyed, so he has enough work to do until then. He starts his day with the homework after having breakfast. That is an excellent trait of his. He doesn't want to keep important things to be done later. After doing the homework, he takes a bath and then says the Shlokas from Bhagwad Gita that his grandmother has taught him online. We recite one Adhyay (lesson) daily, either the 1st or the 12th, that he has learned. Then he is tutored in Marathi by A. He has started with the alphabets and then goes to the Barakhadi. We also play games with Marathi words from time to time. He watches TV at 11 for half an hour to 45 minutes.

Then we do some baking or cooking. T is learning Japanese on DuoLingo while I do Portuguese there. He practices that a bit and then goes out to play at about 2:30 pm. He is back at 5:30 pm, and then we have the ritual of having dinner together and saying the evening prayers along. Today we chanted "Shree Ram Jai ram Jai Jai Ram" together for 10 minutes. It's difficult for him to stay still for 10 minutes, but he should learn to do that. And I am going to utilize this time to help him get latched onto it. He watches his favorite Woozle Goozle serial on TV after dinner, and we are done by 8:30 pm to go to bed. On the weekend, his dad took him cycling. This is pretty much his cycle for the imposed vacation. Screentime to watch serials, play Minecraft, etc. is restricted, but many educational things nowadays need a screen. We can't entirely ward off the screens in our lives now.

As far as I am concerned, I go for a walk in the morning after getting up, come back, clean, cook, bake sometimes. Today I made my favorite snack, Chivada. The other day, I made a hand-sanitizer at home. I color mandalas from time to time for relaxation. I bought a cycle yesterday, thanks to A. He encouraged me to search for my favorite bicycle at Decathalon. I went for it yesterday after my dental treatment and bought it home. I shall post about it soon! I will go cycling now as the weather gets better. I read a little before going to bed. Currently, I am reading "Reasons to stay alive" by Matt Haig. It's such a beautiful and simple book about the mechanisms he used to cope with depression. I am blessed to be out of that down phase now. I want to understand more of it to be able to help others with it in case they need help. I also watch a few Marathi and Hindi serials online. The internet speed has gone so down now that it takes ages to load my favorite series. Everyone is working from home, and the only entertainment they seek staying indoors is via the internet.

A's routine is getting up early in the morning to work for the Australia project, do calls throughout the day, have lunch, go shopping for things. That is an important ritual given the situation as most of the items are out of stock. People have hoarded toilet tissue papers and hand sanitizers. The stock of basic things like fruits and vegetables, milk, bread is also waning. So people shop every day as if it is the last day of their life on earth and from tomorrow a national emergency will be enforced.

People are going crazy by sending unsolicited information through Whatsapp. That creates a lot more fear and panic in the people. How much should be the Media be believed is also a matter of choice. So people stay away from negative news. Do your bit. Keep washing your hands, keep eating healthful, nutritious food if available. Hang in there, and this phase shall pass too!

My parents' trip to Germany got canceled yet again! I have no words to say how I feel. My father is not destined to come here; that's the only thing that comes to my mind nowadays. We all had done our best to plan this trip again after the fiasco of their last tour. I had made so many plans to show them around and spend time with them in the Spring season, which is one of the beautiful seasons in Europe. But no, that was not to happen! Air India canceled the flights to Germany, and Germany has closed borders to contain the spread of the Corona Virus. So amidst these circumstances, it was impossible to call them here.

How are you coping up with the changed circumstances in your country?


3 comments:

  1. Amazing writing.It hits hard...the crisis that is going on.I felt every word every inch of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing writing.felt every word nd inch of it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. seems like all three of you have sorted out the routine for this period. I am amazed at how much T has in his plate. Learning Shlokas, Marathi and Japanese at this young age! very cool. Look forward to your write up on your new bicycle and the book you mentioned in this one.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...