23 February 2020

Stop, think and act - Cook healthy, eat healthy!

I have been practicing Intermittent Fasting since July 2016, and it has given me tremendous benefits. I no longer crave food throughout the day, and I am very conscious about what I put in my mouth. I don't buy fruit juices or packaged items loaded with sugar from the supermarket. I see to it that I cook every day at home with whatever resources are available to me in Germany. I am a vegetarian, and whenever I go out traveling within Europe, the options available are cheese, vegetables, and salads. I enjoy them now as under no circumstances would I ever eat the meat that is abundantly available here without any problems. It's easy to pick up unhealthy and packaged meals from the supermarket. It saves time and energy. But what about the quality of the food that you are eating?
Chicken, pork slices are available in real dirt cheap prices here. Is an animal's life just worth of few cents only? There is a whole process involved after killing the animal. It's after-treatment, the processing, packing, shipping. After deducting all these costs, the meat arrives in the market and is priced for 2 or 3 euros a packet. Imagine what quality it would really be after all the things happen to that poor animal! In Europe, meat has always been a staple diet. But now, due to various resources available, people are becoming aware of the side-effects and adverse effects of having meat. T and A enjoy pork and chicken. I wish they realize some time in life that it is not really worth it. There is good, healthy, delicious, and nutritious stuff in our own Indian cuisine that is much more helpful to the body. Everything that glitters and what the Europeans do is not always right. I have maintained my stance on meat, and I don't cook or buy meat. Currently, due to the cold and cough, T is averse to bread and his favorite Salami. I am happy about it that he hasn't touched meat in the last 5 days. He wants home-cooked breakfast for school. I cooked for him in the morning and was more than happy to give him Indian stuff in the tiffin.

I always keep myself updated on health matters. I follow a few people regularly and listen to their podcasts or watch their videos usually. Researches are still happening, and new things are being discovered. Those people whom I typically follow are spreading the message without any expectations in return. They want to create awareness about the false lies that the food industry slaps on us. They ask to avoid sugar, meat, dairy because it is poisonous for the body, and it is creating epidemics of cancers, diabetes, obesity, and all the other lifestyle diseases.

I have compiled a list of all the people I follow regularly. If it interests you to keep yourself and your family and the future generation healthy, please do read what they have to say. You will be amazed to see the hard work they have put into it for our benefit, for someone whom they don't know.

1) Michael Greger: Wikipedia: Michael Herschel Greger is an American physician, author, and professional speaker on public health issues, best known for his advocacy of a whole-food, plant-based diet, and his opposition to animal-derived food products.

His website: https://nutritionfacts.org/

He has written two outstanding books, "how not to die" and "how not to diet." Both books are worth a read. And he has studied the various research papers and filtered out the information that is essential for us. He gives lectures on different topics in a lively manner.

2) Dr. Josh Axe: Dr. Josh Axe is the founder of the Dr. Axe natural health website. He is also the co-founder of the supplement company Ancient Nutrition and the author of The Gut Repair Cookbook.

His website: https://draxe.com/

This website is full of information about various superfoods, powders, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains for our own healthy kitchen.

3) Luke Coutinho: He is the founder of Luke Coutinho Healing Systems and advocates a healthy lifestyle, home-cooked food, and destressing.

His website: https://www.lukecoutinho.com/

4) https://sharan-india.org/ - An organization in India that advocates veganism, and has transformed many lives in India and abroad.

5) http://cewithsaee.com/- Clean Eating with Saee, founded by Ms. Saee Bapat, my yoga teacher, and friend in Bangalore. She is a follower of Sharan, and she has her own coaching and guiding institute with regards to clean eating.

 A few websites that I follow for vegetarian cooking:

1) https://hebbarskitchen.com/

2) https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/

3) https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/

4) https://cookwithparul.com/

5) https://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

6) https://nishamadhulika.com/

All these people are very active on social media, i.e., on Facebook, Youtube, etc. They are doing some great work here. The ancient Indian wisdom related to food and a healthy lifestyle is coming back and is creating a revolution in the world. I wish more and more people become aware of the wisdom and adopt a lifestyle that will not only help them to lead a happy and fulfilling life but will also help the future generations to be strong and healthy.




2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Extremely useful information 😊👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you so much for sharing the information. Something I can definitely use these days.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...