13 September 2019

Man proposes, God disposes

I am back after a small hiatus.

A week of quick vacation to the wonderful Toscana region in Italy, the excitement and happiness of my parents' arrival and T's 2nd school year left me overwhelmed and I couldn't just focus on writing. I decided to end the silence on my blog today and what did I choose to write? Of course, about the long impending travel of my parents to Germany. My father's first-ever journey outside India! So many plans made, so many trips on the list, so many bookings done. The day was approaching and my and T's joys knew no bounds.

Mom called me last Saturday when I was in Italy. It was our last day there and we were going to head back to Karlsruhe on Sunday. I was happy that they will arrive in 3 days. My mom sounded serious and she asked me to have a look at the latest photo of my dad's operated leg. Yes, he had an operation on the right foot in the first week of August owing to some thorn injury. It got really bad and he had to be operated. After that, the doctors assured that he would be able to take the trip to Germany in a month. We all were hoping the same. But due to the wound, his body became diabetic and the healing got thwarted. It was constantly raining and was wet and damp everywhere. For the wound to heal, the atmosphere around needs to be dry. So the healing which was expected couldn't really happen.

I was shocked to see that photo of his leg and I will never be able to forget it in my life. I cried on the phone talking to my mom. I felt sorry for not being there with my parents at that time. I felt sorry for not being able to help in any way. How could he travel with such an unhealed foot so far? I couldn't imagine him doing that. My mom was also tensed about bringing him all the way to Germany alone, managing everything alone and in case someone accidentally stepped on his foot in the meanwhile, it would have been worse than a nightmare. We both immediately took the decision to cancel the whole trip. It would have been a torture for him to travel with it if at all it would have been possible. But seeing the latest development in the healing process, we both thought it is good for them to remain in Mumbai, amongst the doctors and other people who are there to help him out. My dad was sad that the trip got canceled but he was in safe hands and in a secure atmosphere where the healing would be easy.

With a heavy heart, I canceled the Air tickets. I am not sure how much refund I will get with it. I have written a mail to Kuwait Airways and have asked them to consider this case on humanitarian grounds. Let's see what they do in this case. We had planned to go to Vienna for my 40th birthday. A special birthday with my parents and T. But it is not going to be a trip together, at least this year. I also canceled accommodation and bus bookings to Vienna. My German friends were eager to meet my parents and my parents wanted to see the friend circle which I have here. But that has to wait a little more, I guess. My parents were sad that after all the planning and arrangements, they had to cancel at the last moment. But that was the best decision, in the interest of my dad's health. T was sad and was giving ideas as to how he will take good care of Dombili aaba and how it is easy for him to just sit on the wheelchair and move around here in Germany. I explained to him that it is not easy for aaba to move around now. Let him be well again and then he can come to places with us. His school started on Wednesday, so he got busy into it and got distracted.

I felt very heavy and sad on Saturday when I canceled everything. My dad has always been attending to my grandmother and he couldn't come in the last years when I was in Stuttgart. I thought, at least, this year he can make it. But destiny had other plans.

Wishing him a speedy recovery, we all hope to see each other sometime soon.


1 comment:

  1. Very sad. Hope uncle is recovering now. I wish he could have travelled.😒 But his health is at most important too. Take care dear. And see you soon.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...