21 April 2019

The Kindness Diaries

Netflix did it this time for me. Yes, it hooked me.

It does not happen often, only sometimes and I am mostly happy with my Hindi and Marathi serials on YouTube. I watch two Marathi serials on Colors Marathi and Sony Marathi channels respectively and I watch one Hindi serial on Sony. I often watch them one day later when they are uploaded on YouTube. Last week, something called "The Kindness Diaries" caught my attention when T was watching Peppa Pig on Netflix and that serial really moved me. Being a true Libran, it brought back all the emotions and tears which I often experience when I am touched by love, kindness, and altruism.

It's about a man called Leon Logothetis (https://leonlogothetis.com/), who traveled different parts of the world relying on the kindness of strangers alone. He didn't have any money or valuables on him and he spent nights at strangers places and carried on with his journey later in his vehicle along with a photographer friend who shot the entire season. I missed season 1 of this series. It was taken off from Netflix before I could see it. I could watch the entire Season 2, where he started his journey in Alaska and went till Argentina in a VW Beetle convertible, facing various odds and meeting different kinds of people who moved him and helped him in some or the other way. Strangely, the less privileged people were the ones who helped him the most. They had almost nothing on them, but they opened their hearts and gave him a lot of warmth and love. They offered him food, shelter and even filled the petrol in his car with their meager and humble savings. In turn, the people who moved and inspired him with their help were gifted suitably by him and the happiness and joy on their faces after getting this god-sent gift was priceless.

Watching all the episodes brought tears to my eyes. Is it really possible? Is it real? In the world which has become so selfish and self-centered, does kindness really exist? Are such people whom he met in his journey really there in flesh and blood? What makes people be kind towards others? Leon posed this question to every person who helped him. And they all had more or less the same answers. Helping others and being kind towards others made them happy. They felt connected as human beings, as a part of this big human chain and a part of this circle where you give something and it comes back to you in some or the other form. It's a chain reaction, I think. And kindness helps you break the barriers of language, religion, nationality, etc. It's a feeling of oneness with others, of belonging to one another as a part of the bigger circle of humanity and mankind. Kindness makes you happy because you see others happy. That brings a kind of great satisfaction to your existence.

This reminded me of a very nice video, I had seen a couple of years ago.


Have a look. This will definitely bring a smile to your faces.

Have a wonderful week ahead, folks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...