10 April 2019

कभी अलविदा ना केहना

You meet people out of the blue, you develop a bond with them, you laugh with them, share your woes and happiness with them. It seems as if you always knew them for a long time. You spent some memorable time with each other and then that person moves on to the next station in his/her life and creates a void in your life for which there is no replacement for a long time to come.

I met Ajita one fine day in April last year when I had taken T to play on a playground near his school. Her daughter, Avani was playing on her own and Ajita was standing at a distance watching T and other kids playing. She looked at Tanay and immediately had an inkling that he might be from India. She asked him and he said he has come here from Bangalore and she was convinced and happy that she met an Indian after all. I was talking to the mammas of T's friends and noticed her after some time. I went and spoke to her and we immediately hit off like long last friends. We exchanged numbers and went our ways.

She called me in 2 days to check about the American library, which is very close to our home. I took her to the library and got her enrolled there. And then the chapter of our friendship began. We met once a week. She was an excellent cook and a very good host. She invited me for tea every time and I went to talk to her and spend some time with someone whom I could share my feelings about the loneliness and boredom here. She listened to me patiently and always tried to cheer me up. She even picked up T from school on some days when I had to go out somewhere for work. And she prepared all the goodies which kids loved and Tanay enjoyed going and eating there.

She participated in Garba dance with me and we spent so many moments laughing at her jokes. She had a funny way of looking at things and that lightened the mood immediately. She was always ready to help people she knew and went out of the way to make us comfortable. She even helped a friend in altering her dress. I often thought that she was god-sent. At the time, when I needed a friend in the vicinity, she was there. She called and checked on me almost in 2-3 days. She wanted me to be happy and made sure that she did whatever was in her capacity.

Her husband's tenure in Karlsruhe came to an end and they decided to go back to India for good. We met for dinner at her place first and then at our place. There were no tears, no good-byes, no regrets, no pains. No doubt, we will miss each other. But we also know that in this age, it is easy to keep in touch and we would meet again, in Pune, where she would be stationed or in Karlsruhe again, if her husband gets an opportunity.

Thanks, Ajita for the unconditional love and support and care. The times we spent laughing and talking were the best days I spent here. I will always cherish these moments. I wish you all the happiness and joy in the new phase of your life, back in India. We will surely keep in touch.

Until we meet again...

Take care!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...