21 July 2016

The story of my Fitbit Alta



It all started some 6 months back when the start/stop button of my Fitbit Charge started giving problems. It would light up the display screen of my charge with the slightest movement of my hand. I dismissed it for some temporary problem and overlooked it. I ran the Pinkathon with my Charge on my hand. And it showed me my first ever running performance and I was immensely proud of the statistics. Then one fine day after finishing my Yoga class, when I came back home, that very problematic button had fallen somewhere much to my dismay and it was so tiny that I couldn’t find it anywhere even after searching on the road from where I got home. I was left with no tracker and that left me little dejected. 

That was a gift from my hubby for our last wedding anniversary and it had come from Germany. And I thought that I lost such a useful and expensive gift. I mentioned it to my colleague, Mansi W, who suggested that I write to Fitbit and ask what can be done in such a case. I was convinced that nothing can be done and some months passed in my laziness. I still hadn’t written to Fitbit. Then one fine day on an auspicious day, I wrote to them and immediately got a response from Fitbit USA. They asked me send the invoice of the Fitbit Charge and also a photo of the Charge which prominently showed the push-button missing. I got a response from them in a few days where they were ready to give me a replacement of Fitbit Charge without any additional cost. I was spellbound. With great excitement, I told them my readiness to have a replacement. But they did not have my size (S) and so they were ready to send me the next available size, L. With a heavy heart, I was ready to take whatever size available. The S size of my earlier Charge from USA was so big for me that I had to use the last 2-3 slots in the belt to wear it. L size I thought would be enormous and would fit on my upper arm only.

I waited for the product to reach me and it came as promised but with a glitch. I was asked to pay custom duty of INR 1500/- if I wanted to take the delivery and I was told that I will not be charged anything. I refused to pay and take the delivery. They came one more time and I refused again. So it went back to US. I exchanged a few mails and asked Fitbit to settle the matter with the courier company, Fedex. But nothing happened and the product went back. I lost the hope of getting a replacement. I got a mail again from some different associate asking me the reason for refusing to take the product. I again explained the whole matter to her and she was ready to send me the latest Fitbit Alta, again free of cost. She have me choice of S, L, XL and Black, Blue, Plum and Teal colors. I chose S and Plum. I made it very clear to handle the custom duty in advance and hoped to at least get the tracker this time.

To my surprise, on the 3rd day of confirming the color and size, the door-bell rang to deliver my new Fitbit Alta, sans any duty. I couldn’t believe my eyes and my luck for a few minutes. Where had it all started and where did it end. My laziness, Mansi’s suggestion, my writing to them and finally getting the product in my hand. I immediately configured it and started using it. Was more than happy for the response I got from Fitbit US and thanks dear Mansi. If you hadn’t given me the idea to write to them and followed it up with me, I would have been sitting lamenting over my old Fitbit Charge.

Fitbit Alta is a sleek tracker without any push button. It tracks your steps, calories, kilometer travelled in a day and also your sleep pattern. It automatically records any activity which you do for more than 15 minutes. I went for a walk today for 30 minutes. It gave me all the statistics for this particular activity. I am happy that I got hold of this one and look forward to many more milestones such as marathons, walkathons and much more.

Amen!



      

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...