19 July 2016

Guru Pournima

Today is Guru Pournima.

I quote from Wikipedia

Guru Purnima is an Indian and Nepalese festival dedicated to spiritual and academic teachers. This festival is traditionally celebrated by Hindus, Jains and Buddhists, to pay their respects to their teachers and express their gratitude. The festival is celebrated on the full moon day (Purnima) in the Hindu month of Ashadha (June–July) of the Shaka Samvat, as it is known in the Hindu calendar of India and Nepal.[1] This day marks the first peak of the lunar cycle after the peak of the solar cycle.


Today is the day where homage is paid to the teachers who sculpted our lives and made us what we are today. Teachers, here I mean, not only the teachers who taught us in school, but I believe it is every person who comes into our life for giving us knowledge or making us aware or teaching us an important aspect of life. A small ant can be our teacher and even the garbage collector who daily does his/her job without fail and takes our dirt away making himself dirty in the process.

The first teacher in our lives is generally our mom, who nurtures us for 9 months inside her womb and later outside till she is alive. My mom has been the strongest anchor in my life and she knows something is wrong from my mere voice on the phone. She has taught me to be happy and help others and always inspires in some or the other manner. Another strong lady who is constantly teaching me to be practical and peaceful is my mother-in-law. She is never sitting idle or in pain or sad. She always has a cheerful demeanor and there is a lot that I have learned from her as well. My father and grandmother work tirelessly, day in day out. They are 65 and 89 respectively. They teach me no matter what you have to keep going. That is the charm and also mundaneness of life. The Dabke boys in my life (My husband and his brother and my son) have always been cool about anything that happens in their life. I never seen them lose their temper. They deal with all situations very calmly and do not take unnecessary stress. I think that quality is inherited from my mother-in-law.

All the people who come in our contact teach us some thing or the other, consciously, unconsciously. We might be cheated, duped, loved, thwarted, which itself is a lesson for us and then we become extra cautious when we have to deal with any of these qualities again. The sun, the moon, the air, the birds and bees constantly strive to see a tomorrow and we should be thankful for them as their existence means our existence. Our body, the temple of our soul is our teacher too. No matter how much we abuse it and throw junk food into it, it still carries around our weight as far as it can.

I bow down to all my teachers, friends, enemies and other living things for inspiring me every single day and making me a better person day by day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...