17 July 2016

Consistency helps!

I had posted sometime in March about starting Yoga once again after a gap of nearly 10-15 years. I had one or the other reason to not invest time for my good health and all these years I hardly did anything to make myself fit and feel energetic. But then in April 2015, I became extremely serious, took a well-balanced diet and exercised well and shed off all the baby weight that I had accumulated all these years.


Yoga helped to a great extent. I started yoga in March and 5 months down, I feel extremely energetic and full of life. I actually look forward to the classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Our teacher, Ms. Saee Bapat should be given full credit for this. She is one person who is always cheerful and ready to try out new new asanas. She is a champion swimmer and lean and tall and does all the difficult asanas which we can't dream of doing in next 5 years, very easily. She encourages us to challenge our bodies to the maximum so that we see good results. She is not a very strict teacher when it comes to doing an asana perfectly, she does not push if we are not willing or ready to do. Most of us are regulars now and others as well as we ourselves can see the results of being consistent at it.

The problem of pains during periods has vanished from my life. Never before could I pass those 2 days without taking a pain killer. But that is not the case any longer. There is hardly any pain. I think it is due to the tremendous stretching that we do almost every day. The body has become very light and easy to stretch. There is tremendous flexibility in the body and I can do most of the asanas very easily and without pain. We do Suryanamaskar (Sun salutations) in every class. Other asanas rotate on day to day basis, but we do not miss the Suryanamaskar. Suryanamaskar has many asanas clubbed into one and it is one of the most effective tool in Yoga, I feel.

There are many in this world that want instant results as just by doing yoga for a month or so, want to know how much they can reduce in a month! For god's sake, stop treating your body as a weighing object only. It is much more than that. If you experience good inch loss rather than weight loss, isn't it great. Low weight is necessarily not a sign of good health and a body with strong bones and muscles which weighs more is definitely not a drawback. After doing yoga consistently without a huge break or a gap and also managing my portions, I am able to fit in clothes which I wore 6-7 years ago. The weighing scale does not love me and I don't love it too. As long as I am feeling fit and fine, happy and energetic and I am running marathons and doing walkathons, inspiring people around me and getting inspired by people around me, the weight shouldn't really matter.

I intend to continue Yoga for my life and I wish that each and every woman takes it up too. It has lot of positive effects on the mental and physical health. It calms you down, it brings a harmony of mind and body and you become a better and happy person, which is my personal experience. We become aware of our body parts and realize how relentlessly each and every part is working towards giving us life every single day. And yes the magic of ever-going breathing can't be overlooked. We breathe so unconsciously that we don't even realize how effective is it happening since so many years without a miss. If it is misses, we won’t survive for the next second.

So get aware, make others aware and embrace the powerful techniques of Yoga for an enriched and fulfilled life! It has helped in controlling almost all life-style diseases and Yoga is need of the hour, I feel. Kids should be introduced Yoga in schools and there should be a separate discipline of Yoga where people can do learning, research and teach others to lead a good life.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely writing mruna...not just the way you hav penned it down but the importance of yoga nd convincing capabilities are strong....good going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely writing mruna...not just the way you hav penned it down but the importance of yoga nd convincing capabilities are strong....good going...

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...