04 March 2013

An evening to remember

On Friday, very unexpectedly, I got to know that my visa has arrived and I need to travel as soon as possible.

I had just finished the biometrics on Wednesday and as it went with others, I was expecting that it will at least take a week or so for the visa to arrive. So, I was all relaxed and suddenly this news came and I did not know how to react. There was a knotty feeling in my stomach. I was neither happy nor sad. Suddenly it dawned upon me that I have to leave my current work place, house, people, friends and go to Germany. Was I not knowing that I have to go there some day? Then why did I feel so uncomfortable at the thought of going to Germany? That was a strange feeling, but then I had to put that thought at the back of my mind and move ahead with the preparations.

I decided to pamper myself on the week end and make it the best possible week end before leaving my homeland. It was going to be the last relaxed week end of this year in this city, which gave me successful career, good friends and my dream house. Next week end, I would be neck deep in shopping and packing and there would be hardly any time to sit back and relax. On Saturday evening, my parents, Tanay and I went for a long drive. I realized that in these 6 years that we had a car, we had hardly gone out for a drive at night. Cool wind was blowing, the sky was lit with stars and the moon shone brightly. We happened to come across a stall "Goli vadapav", where they served hot and spicy vada pav (a famous delicacy in Maharashtra). Dad and I devoured 2 pieces each without any hassles. Mom and Tanay were not interested and were playing with each other. After a long time, I realized that I spent quality time with my parents where we talked about my childhood and all the hardships we went through in the past years. They are now a proud grandparent and equally proud parents, they told me. I did not know how to react, but I just kept mum and looked in their eyes. The silence spoke a lot!



After the vada pav eat-out, we went to the Naturals ice-cream parlor, where again dad and I took our favorite flavors and Tanay drank his favorite milk from the bottle. I thought he would doze off after his stomach was full and the weather was also so cool outside, but no he wanted to contribute equally to our conversations with his cheerful and wonderful company.

A day like today will come after a long time, I know. But I also know that the legacy continues and so does the love from one generation to the next. I will miss my parents for sure and I also know that there would be times when they would just look at my and Tanay's photos and weep silently. But they would be also blessing us and will be sending us their good wishes from time to time. Their blessings and good wishes will definitely help me and my family go a long way and make successful careers and will help us live an enriched and fulfilling life. 

Thank you aai, baba and Tanay for a wonderful evening!



2 comments:

  1. That was touching. All the best for your life in Germany and keep in touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anjali Karandikar9 March 2013 at 08:01

    I read your article - "An evening to remember". It was touching. I can understand your feelings about leaving the country.
    We have gone through the similar experiences a couple of times. It was not easy when we left US and arrived in Pune in year 2000.
    We get attached to places, people, surroundings. Even if you don't interact with some people (eg. bhajivali, shop keepers etc),
    you are used to seeing them at certain places at certain time.
    It is difficult to leave one place and I think time is the only solution.

    But the good thing is your family will be together. Also you have got the opportunity to observe, study German people, culture and society.
    You write about your new experiences. I will like to read.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...