05 August 2011

Kishore da

Yesterday was the birth anniversary of the legendary singer Kishore Kumar.

94.3 Radio One was celebrating this occassion with great enthusiasm. All day through they played his songs and also what other people had to say about him. There is hardly any music fan in India who does not adore Kishore Kumar.

He was a versatile man. An actor, director, singer, composer, producer, lyricist. But I always liked his singing better than any other quality in him. Yes, he was an eccentric man, married 4 times, was very concerned about being paid for his singing, but he was responsible for creating magic in the Bollywood music. He rendered his voice to many actors. My personal favorite is the combination of Amitabh Bacchan and Kishore Kumar and also Rajesh Khanna and Kishore Kumar.

Who can forget the ever-green song of the movie Don, Namak Halal, Silsila where Amitabh was the hero on screen and Kishore Kumar the off-screen hero? Or the soulful songs of the movies Aradhana, Safar, Amar Prem, Kudrat, Kati Patang which created a chocolate hero image of Rajesh Khanna? Most of his songs are etched in my heart and I like the sad numbers sung by him more than the yoodly yoodly yo ho numbers.

I am listing my best 5 songs in a descending order. This is a mixed list, happy and sad numbers as well are in. It is actually very difficult to choose the best amongst the best, but still I will try.

5.  Saagar Kinaare dil ye pukare from the movie Saagar - Played beautifully onscreen by Rishi Kapoor and Dimple. I like the lyrics a lot and the picturization on the sea-side where the lead pair express love for each other.


4. O saathi re - This is a haunting number. Picturised on Amitabh from the movie Muqaddar ka sikandar. It has a female version too, but can't match Kishore Da's version. A person who is separated from his childhood sweetheart thinks of her and sings this song remembering her. My heart goes out to him.


3. Inteha ho gayi - I love this song, especially the later part, when the song picks up when Jaya Prada enters onscreen and Asha Bhonsle pitches in for her. This song again portrays Amitabh's yearning for his lady love and again Amitabh puts life in this song. I feel like dancing towards the end when Asha didi and Kishore da sing together.


2. There is a tie between
Aanewala pal - What lyrics and what meaning of this song. Amol Palekar on the screen and Kishore da offscreen giving us the essence of life


and

Hamein aur jine ki chahat na hoti from the movie Agar tum na hote - I like the purity of this song and the relationship of dedication to each other is beautifully depicted b/w a husband and his wife.


1. Hamein tumse pyaar kitna - From the lesser known movie, Kudrat. Oh this is one haunting number, which I can listen again and again. Picturized on Rajesh Khanna and Hema Malini. Amazing lyrics and to top it, Kishore Da's voice, no doubt this song is famous and loved even today. This also has a nice female version, but I like this more!


There are countless songs of Kishore Da which surface time and again and are enjoyed by one and all even after so many years.

A person like him can be born only once on this earth!

Kudos to you Kishore Da!

We all love you!


 

4 comments:

  1. too good article .... i am also fan of kisore kumar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just got me into a super humming mode! But thanks a lot for reminding them to me. I have to get these in my itunes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. tooooooooo goooddddddd.........n u know wht coincidentally... i didnt know tht it was kishore da's anniversary but i downloaded some of my favorite songs of him on the very same day.....i guess tht is my tribute to him....so tempted to list down my favorites tooo...
    1)Mazile apni jaga hai raste apni jagah
    2)anewala pal & O majhi re apna kinara
    3)Rim jhim gire sawan
    4)Tere mere milan ki yeh raina
    5)salame ishq meri jaan
    6)badi suni suni hai & chu kar mere man ko

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is indeed a gt8 singer gems like Rafi saab & Kishore da will not be born again ....... Hats off to their g8t talent .. very nice written diiii...

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...