12 April 2011

Packing memories

Now it is time to move on slowly to the new house and new environment and new neighbors, my mind reminds me everytime the clock ticks away by a day!

I am surrounded by all kinds of boxes of all the stuff we have bought for the new house. I have boxes of Television, washing machine, which we are currently using here and then the unopened boxes of hob and chimney and all the lights and lighting which we bought recently.

Looking at them and also the ones which are going to join them in a month's time makes me nostalgic. I will soon have to start packing and throw away things which I am not taking there. I stayed in this house and locality for 4 years. It is a nice independent house, surrounded by trees and greenery all around. In the morning it is quite cool, but as the afternoon sets in, it gets bad. As there is no house above mine, it gets baked from all sides and it gets difficult to stay without a fan on your head in summers. Every summer, I thought of buying a cooler or AC, but then I gave up the thought saying, it is anyways not going to be forever that we are going to stay here. And this year it really is going to be our last summer in this house. We will shift to our new house in a month or so and that house is on the ground floor, with a small orchard of fruit bearing trees.

This house gave me a lot of things and I am going to take good memories from here. We both got our current jobs while we were here. Atul travelled to Paris, Germany from this house. We had many guests and friends visiting while we stayed here and we had a good time entertaining them here. I have lost the count, how many times my in-laws and parents might have visited this house. Now, people might ask me, what has that got to do with the house? But I feel somewhere the positive vibes of a house (though it is a non living thing) do matter and have an effect on a person's life. Again it all depends on how much one believes in it! I will miss the tree, which is just next to the house and it's mighty shade and I will also miss the birds who have housed that tree. I will miss the children who play on the streets everyday in the evening, they make a lot of noise though, but still I am happy to see them not glued to Computers or TV and watch them play together.

I will also miss my support system, my cook Parvati and maid Rekha, who do half of the household chores. In the new house, Parvati's and Rekha's jobs are going to be taken over by me and the appliances such as dishwasher, Vaccum cleaner etc. I will miss my landlady's grandson, Athreya, who is just 3 years old and is very cute and sweet. He calls me by my name "Minalini" and tries to tell me something in Kannada to which I answer in English!

I am looking forward to make a new beginning in our dreamhouse, but I will miss this 4 years spent in this house, for sure!! 

2 comments:

  1. same here, i become nostalgic for every house i stay in...n i cry every time i hv to leave...thts life....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reaction to this post was Nostalgic, but I could not found in list.
    I really felt nostalgic of my memories of house in Bhopal, where I spent first 15 years of my life.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...