20 February 2011

Garam chai

Sudhir, Koustubh and I met when we first started our careers with Hewlett Packard as translators.
Sudhir knew French and I and Koustubh knew German. 

Sudhir had come from Pune and Koustubh and I from Mumbai. Coming from the same state and speaking a common language in a new state helped us bond over garam chai in the canteen very quickly. And there was just no looking back. We went for lunch together, went out on week ends for movies, shopping. We helped each other to beat the stress and frustration at work. We talked about movies, music. Eating and shopping were our favorite topics. Sudhir loved shopping and Koustubh always took time to zero down on buying something. We tried almost all different cuisines available in Bangalore.

Soon, Sudhir moved out of HP. I went back to Mumbai, however returned soon to HP. Koustubh was still there. But he also moved out for better prospects after I re-joined. But still we were in regular touch with each other on mails, calls and sometimes even met each other. I subsequently got married and also did Sudhir.

It is true that priorities change, rather life changes once marriage happens. It was not that our partners did not allow us to meet each other or something. but we all got engrossed in our personal lives and hardly talked to each other at length now. We knew that we all exist in the same city, but somewhere that regular keeping in touch just went stopped happening.


 We met today at Sudhir's house for a cup of garam chai and dhokla after a year or so. Koustubh had also come over. We laughed together, talked about the good old days which we spent as friends and colleagues. All those memories flashed like an old movie in front of my eyes. Everything seemed so fresh, as if it had happened just yesterday.

I realized that this re-bonding is a way of reliving those carefree days where we all were single and young and had no responsibilities. It is a kind of tonic which will help us all to sustain in times of difficulties and stress. It is an oasis which will always remain green in our memories and in our hearts.

Garam chai took us back to the past which freshened us up and will definitely help us live the present and also our future on those wonderful memories. Our bond of friendship is just like the petrol which keeps the vehicle called life go smoothly.

Garam chai sessions should happen more often, say in 2 months or so?

What does garam chai remind you of??

5 comments:

  1. 'Garam Chai' reminds my of Mansoon treks n lots of memories associated with it too.

    Garam chai reminds me of Mountains, Flora & Fauna, the fragrance of soil/cow dung, Patacha pani’ giving amazing taste to that garam chai.

    In short I need a break – Trek Break!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. garam chai or in my case, coffee reminds me of relaxed weekend mornings with hubby, school frnds coming hm at 1 am for a cup of coffee, cup of coffee reminds me of my dad making it hot fresh everyday for me before i go to work. :)i miss the latter 2 now....:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chai reminds me of College days. Chai, Bread-Pakoda and time pass. I miss those wonderful days and especially those friends.No lines were there. Now everyone is away and busy in solving their own problems divided by geographical distances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Lini....seriously we also had a gud time in HP...best of luck for your life..best wishes with u.. dear:-)
    3 cheers !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recollected the days when friends landed up at home,we would be awake the whole night and then eventually have tea at late nights.oh ginger tea.wat a bliss it was

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...