17 February 2011

Food zone

I am a foodie.
 
I love eating any types of veg cuisines from all over the world.
 
A few years back, I used to eat non-veg (only butter chicken, once in six months, that too in hotel). But I gave up in 2005 when I had been to Tirupati with my friends from Bangalore.
 
Just like that, out of the blue, I thought of giving something up and cultivate a type of discipline in myself. As I was not very keen on eating non-veg, giving it up was easy. I did not miss it much and also did not mind someone sitting besides me and eating it.
 
There were so many varieties available in veg food itself that non veg items couldn't lure me after I gave them up.
 
If you ask me to list down 5 five favorite dishes.. the first in the list would be
 
1) Gobi Manchurian. I just love it at anytime of the day and on any day. I love the very tangy taste of it. And the roasted flavor of it along with some cut vegetables makes me go bonkers!!
 
2) It is a tie. Shared between Sev puri and Pav bhaji. Sev Puri from a road side vendor in my home town, who appears very dirty and unhygienic to our practical side, but the heart knows, no one can make better sev puri than him. Pav Bhaji should be made by my mom with her unique sense of adding appropriate quantities of all the masalas and vegetables!
 
3) I love Italian pastas, the bland ones with the white sauces and vegetables. It is just the right food for any pasta lover. I would recommend you to try "Little Italy" whenever you visit me in Bangalore.
 
4) I have a sweet tooth too just like you all. I would place banana walnut cake, blueberry muffin on the 4th position. The moment they melt in your mouth, you reach heaven, an alltogether different plane of consciousness.
 
5) My all time favorite Sitaphal flavor from the Natural Ice Cream parlor. Oh, how can someone make him/her indulge so much with the help of such a rare, unattractive and seasonal fruit?
 
Now, please do not go by the calorie chart of these enlisted items.
 
Once you start counting them, you lose all the fun and the joy of having it.
 
Once in a while, everybody should give themselves a treat on occassion of a stressful day or a wedding anniversary or a birthday or even during the first showers of monsoon.
 
Having your favorite dish makes your taste buds happy and in turn they spread this happiness to your whole being. Afterall life is all about deriving happiness from such small things.
 
What say?
 

3 comments:

  1. Just love ur writing.

    plzz include ur old poems too. Remember them reading in Thane katta & Sankraman

    ReplyDelete
  2. wrong topic for me to comment.....if i start giving my list...i shall write more than u in your blog...:)
    staying abroad makes me crave even more for typical indian food....but staying abroad has its advantages too...i could taste variety of cuisines over the period of last 5 yrs...and must say..."jeebheche chochle pushkal purawle ahet"
    good to read ur top 5 dishes though....will remember for sure next time i invite u home for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats a best way to treat ur self.

    I just love doing it,but some times start binging.

    oh these lovely dishes mentioned,i feel like munching some of them.

    here i go.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...