28 February 2017

Mathematics of life

The last day of February, the shortest month of the year is very important in the life of Boschlers (people working in the company called Bosch) especially for the ones working in India. Today is the day when the company gives us the bonus along with the salary and this number is the biggest in terms of salary compared to all the other months of the year. Anticipation and calculations are on everyone's mind. Till the salary slip shows us what exactly we have got, there is an atmosphere of tension in the office, and it is exactly the same feeling when the results were to be announced during the school times. Once the salary slip is out and the SMS of the money getting deposited in the salary account arrives, it is the time when disappointment sets in for most of them out there....
 
There is almost always a mismatch in our expectations and the amount we receive. I am not sure if it happens with every salaried person, but to me at least the numbers really look alien. I have no clue of what formulae are applied and how are the calculations made and how a certain amount is derived. In my work experience of 12 years, there hasn't been a single company or a single salary slip which won my admiration and understanding. I think this hate-relationship with numbers is deeply rooted in my school days when for every Maths paper, I have shed buckets of water, claiming that I will not score more than a 0 in every exam. I never scored a 0 though, but I never took a liking to numbers as well. 

Additions, subtractions, divisions, multiplications were easy, but then the torture that entered under the fancy names of Algebra and Geometry was beyond my scope. Algebra, I could still manage, but Geometry, I never really understood why I wrote what I wrote. I just managed to scrape through the Board Exams and haven't really opened a Geometry text book after that. Even after I started working, numbers and calculations always laughed treacherously at me and always gave me jitters. The same applies even now. I have always put people and relationships in the forefront. The numbers in the bank, in the shop, in the price of a luxury car, in the lifestyle of a certain high standard confuse me. I believe in simple living and continuously growing and experimenting. I have had my own experiences which has made me strong and wise. I have been cheated and used by people for their own good, but that doesn't stop me from meeting new people and helping them out. If I am given fancy gadgets worth a million and am asked to shut up and spend rest of my life with them, I would be doomed. I like chaos, I like sound and that's what it usually is when people are around you. One may not always meet the right ones, but there is a lot to learn and experience from one and all. Every person is a different sum, so to say and has to be solved (treated) differently.

It may sound clichéd but yes at the end of the day I am still a dreamer and a lover and a true Libran at heart who believes that those numbers in the bank and the salary slip can't really buy love, peace and friends. If you ask me if I have more bank balance or more friends, I would say the latter!



6 comments:

  1. This is so apt!!! Each day we go through this however we still expect each day for a better life ... I pray each one gets their piece of happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beleive me Mruna... You will open a geometry book for Tanay... And those days are not very far away my dear... Until then I pray you have many friends and a lot of bank balance to keep you happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, relationships and life definitely worth much more than money. It's only when you don't have these, realize that money is only a number. I do sync with your thoughts Mruna. As always, wonderfully put. Keep writing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We value more on things that we don't get in life. This fact you have beautifully expressed. The line for the Geometry is just so true. Look forward for more posts cheers Maya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one :)

    - Deepti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell me about the disappointment of looking at the salary slip post a bonus payout or a new appraisal. At the end a friend to share the disappointment is more valuable. :-)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...