09 August 2013

Girls Day Out

My mom is visiting us for a short while here and it has been a busy time ever since she has arrived. My office routine, Tanay's creche and Atul's office leaves us no time to bond separately. We do talk a lot and discuss things and issues amongst us. She guides me, scolds me, and advises me just like she used to do when I was in college. As they say, a child grows up, but a mother never does. I listen to everything she says, like an obedient daughter. Tanay also enjoys the attention of his "jeeaa", it is the opposite order of the word "aajee", which means grandmother. They both enjoy a lot with my mom trying to make sense of his one syllable words and he trying to understand her by closing watching her actions and words.

I decided to take a day off and spend it with my mom and take her around the city. Tanay went to his creche and Atul to his office. Then the mother-daughter duo proceeded to the main station and spent some time on the main shopping street there. There were lot of people around though it was a week day. Children had holidays and they were seeing strolling with their parents and grandparents. There was music playing in one corner, one person was busy painting a huge portrait. One lady was sitting with her child and was asking for money. One big fat bearded man, shabbily dressed, was sitting with his dog and talking to him. One couple was kissing each other passionately, oblivious to the crowd around. There were many joints where people were sitting and having coffee, pizza, cakes and pastries. Cool breeze was blowing, it was pleasant and the sun was hardly seen in the skies. We walked down a lot, observing, talking, window shopping. Then after some time, I asked my mom, if she was hungry and if she would like to try out the pizza option here, which is available in slices also. We can choose one slice from a variety of pizza and pay only for that. We gave it a try and she liked it and proclaimed that it is better than the versions she had in India. I saw at her very lovingly. The roles were reversed today. She used to take me out for shopping and hotelling and now I am the one who is leading her. She saw all the shops with child-like enthusiasm and it really amused me to see her so happy! She always wished to come to Europe for a longer time and not with any tours, which just make you run around 10 countries in 7 days. And her wish had come true, after many years! She is a strong willed and positive person and I really wish I am at least 10% of what she is!

Our day progressed with shopping for my little one. We bought him a few clothes and toys and were happy that we got something for him. (Though nowadays, all our focus during outings, excursions, shopping, hotelling is only on Tanay, we were glad to have shopped for him, yet again!!!). My mom and me were like two long lost friends, chatting, giggling, shopping together and it seemed like a long time that we had been like this. She retired from her office recently and I moved here. So, we hardly got time to spend together, just the two of us. But then we created the opportunity and had some moments which we will always cherish.

The ticking clock brought us back and we proceeded to pick up my little fella from his creche.

A day well spent!!


3 comments:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...