19 August 2013

Similarities and Differences


As I sat in the „Netto“ stores that day, at the entrance, near the cash counter, I couldn’t help watching the people who had come to buy their daily needs.

Every person was different in appearance.
Every person was dressed differently.
Every person had a different purse from which they pulled off their card/money.
Every person seemed to be lost in his own thoughts or worries.
Every person had different things (agenda) in his shopping bag.
Every person was oblivious to the other’s presence.
Every person was greeting the cashier at the counter and then pushing off with their stuff.

In the span of 20 minutes, I almost saw the whole world in front of my eyes with such a variety and colour. I wondered to myself, how it is that there is no one similar to the other person in matter of looks, dressing, thoughts, appearance!!! As a child, I used to wonder if there was anyone similar looking like me as they showed in the Hindi movies and if I would ever meet her in a very dramatic situation like twins coming in front of each other unawares. But then as I grew up, I realized that there is no one like me on this whole earth when it comes to my nature, appearance, physiology and biology. I was then charmed by the “Six degrees of separation” theory which states that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. (Source: Wikipedia). I am yet to find the other six people in my so-called “net”.

God is indeed a brilliant fellow, who has such a varied imagination and vibrancy that he didn’t make one person similar to the other. Yes, we all have 2 hands, 2 legs, 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose, and 1 head. But the similarity ends there. The brain and the heart of every person are again different. The way 2 people react to 1 situation is again different. The brain here, I believe, is the logical partner and the heart is the emotional partner. And together they carry on this wonderful journey of mankind, where one makes, breaks, learns, heals, helps and finally meets its end. We should be thankful that we got this wonderful opportunity to see, live, think and emote. Shouldn’t we treasure this blessing and make the most of it rather than thinking if we got a fair share of life or not? This path of the journey is indeed for us to make it beautiful and sunny or make it dark and gloomy.

So do you choose to be similar like the pessimists around you or different like the optimists around you?  

1 comment:

  1. Very Intriguing!

    Your point on six degrees on separation makes me wonder if I can actually pursue my goals through six people in a network. Must give it a try!

    And what you say about leading the journey of our life in the best possible way is indeed so true. Despite the natural human tendency to crib and wish for more, I think everyone, at some point appreciates his/her life as it is and lives the happiest moment of his/her life in that point. Many do so unknowingly and many others realise the importance of their gifted life!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...