21 December 2020

Happy birthday Baba!

The bond of fathers and daughters is an exceptional one; someone has said this. But to experience it in reality, you have to either be born as a daughter or become a father to the daughter. You can't fathom the depth and nature of a father-daughter relationship from outside. My father, whom I have always called Baba is a testimony to this, and he has pampered me to the core and taught me many valuable things in my life which I try to follow. Sometimes I am successful; sometimes, I am not.

He was born into a middle-class family. His father, my grandfather, had made a name for himself by his sheer hard work and dedication, and he tried to give the best to his son, my dad in whatever he could. My dad stayed in Pune and studied at the Bhosala Military School. The discipline and orderliness of the school got inculcated in him so much that even today if someone touches his things or moves things from his drawer, he immediately comes to know from the way the other person keeps things. He is a perfectionist when it comes to arranging stuff, packing clothes. Even today, when I go to India, he enthusiastically packs all the things in a bag and tells us to give him more stuff to pack. He can pack 100 kgs in one cargo bag without any hassles. He loves collecting books, pens, and his room is often filled with memories and things from the past. It is often like entering a treasure chest and experiencing a blast from the past.

When I decided to move to Bangalore for my job, he helped me bring stuff from Mumbai and helped me settle in the new house in Bangalore. Every home, I moved to, he was there to help me shift and arrange things. And he did this with love and enthusiasm like a six-year-old child. He never got tired or bored. He was always active and wanted to do something or the other. When I was in Bangalore with Tanay, he came to stay with me for a year. He entirely managed the kitchen and the house while I was working. He took care of Tanay, made him ready for school, took him to school, played with him, took him for a walk outside. He never scolded him or got angry with him. Why not? He was the grandson, after all. He formed a special bond with him, and that's the reason, Tanay considers him at the first position in his list of his favorite people. I am somewhere in the 5th position :-)

My dad had a medical shop in Dombivli West, and it was one of the first medical shops there. People of all ages knew him, and he was always ready to help people. As we stayed just above the medical shop, people have come at 2 am to get medicines in an emergency. My dad has helped many such people without any second thought. He always told me, it is essential to build networks and keep in contact with people. It is a virtue to help people in need. There have been times when he has given medicines for free because people didn't have enough money. Many people have taken advantage of this, and he was duped by many people too. But that didn't stop him from helping people and trusting people. He keeps on doing that even today and everybody knows my dad has a contact in some or the other office or hospital or department in public office and people often approach him for advice and help. 

Today, on his birthday, I want to thank him from the bottom of my heart for everything he has done for me so far. Words are not enough, and I will be most happy when he visits me in Germany next year. That will be his right birthday gift, I think. I want to show him this part of the world, which is so different and which he has never seen or experienced. He is nearing his 70s, and that's the reason I want him to come here soon. He will be able to enjoy and see nature and beautiful things here. His grandson intends to take him to the city center in the tram, just two of them so that they can spend the day together and his "aaba" will let him buy anything he wants to.

So here's wishing you a very happy birthday, dear Baba!

You are and shall always be the "Rock" in my life on which I can lean on for support, help, love, and care!

Have a great day ahead and enjoy the cake that I have sent! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...