14 April 2015

What an idea sir ji!



24 hours do not seem to be enough for me, since the time I have returned to India. No time to read, write, surf or do any activity for myself. I sometimes log in to FB, but I feel lost and disconnected with the outside world as I am not regularly there. There are some interesting things which one gets to know on FB and that broadens your horizon and your view towards the society and self. Recently, I came across two such interesting things, rather ideas, which brought a smile on my face and the trust in humanity was reinforced.


Shriyans Bhandari, a college student, has started a venture called Green Sole, where he invites your old, worn-out, discarded footwear, recycles it and provides a new pair of footwear to the needy. Who on earth could have thought of this simple yet path-breaking idea? He now plans to put green boxes everywhere in the Mumbai city and collect the footwear of people, who can afford them only to recycle them to hand them over to the needy. I immediately got in touch with him on FB and offered to help do this activity in my area in Bangalore. He was elated to get my response and he said he will get in touch with me for sure, when he plans to put the Green Sole boxes in Bangalore. I even suggested to him that we do a collection drive in my company. As a part of social responsibility, every company can do this for helping the poor and the needy. The shoes which we discard are burnt off or discarded in debris. They are never totally destroyed. That is also a great source of pollution. Somebody thought of giving a pair of footwear to the poor, downtrodden and the needy; somebody who has not experienced the feel of the footwear will definitely be all praises for such a venture, isn’t it?  Why not contribute to this great work in our own sweet way? I would be posting on my blog about the GreenSole when it comes to Bangalore.

You can in the meanwhile have a look at the FB page


Please go ahead and contribute your old shoes whenever you see the Green boxes in your neighborhood, spread the word amongst your friends and colleagues and family. Let’s do something together for our less privileged fellow Indians. 

Aviral Garg,a 17 year old student, was on a visit to his hometown during vacations, when he saw somebody throwing a can from his car and speeding away. As he watched in disgust, he spent a few days thinking about it and came up with the thought that people do not have a dustbin in the car and hence this forces them to throw things out. He designed a bag for the cars, which was not over-priced and had durable material. He tested it with his friends and gave them to use in their cars and he also recently put up a stall in the Kanpur Half Marathon. It made a decent sale and his idea was well appreciated. He plans to find a brand name and logo for his product soon and also approach the car manufacturers and e-commerce websites.

More about him in this article


How many of us actually could have hit upon this novel idea? We see many people littering the road and we just nod our heads and do nothing about it. But this boy thought about it, found a solution to it and worked on realizing it. I wish him all the success.

These two ideas lit up my day and face. Hats off to both these young chaps. They are heading towards a bigger goal and I wish them lots of success and happiness in their ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...