27 December 2013

Merry Christmas!!??

December is my most favorite month of the year.

In India it is the best time to go for picnics, outings, sit and chit chat with friends and yes, most of the weddings happen during this month, so it is a great time to catch up with relatives and friends. In Europe, in Germany, it is the beginning of Winter and the most important festival, Christmas falls in this month itself. The festivities begun right from the first week of Christmas here. The shops and streets are lit, there are discounts all over and people are as usual on a shopping spree and in holiday mood.

This year unfortunately, it was the most boring month for me, here in Germany. Atul was away in India for a holiday. Tanay and myself stayed back, though I so very wanted to go to India. But somehow, I convinced myself that I would be able to manage this front alone. I was so very wrong!! Barely 1 week passed by well as we both were busy with my office and his creche. But then suddenly my little baby developed conjunctivitis, thanks to the various infections that were hovering in his creche due to the onset of winter. I took him to the doctor and got medicines and then he developed ear infection with high fever. Again I had to rush to the emergency hospital and get him antibiotics. Fever subsided, but his health deteriorated. He became extremely cranky, fussy and irritable. The weather had also become so unpredictable and lousy that I couldn't take him out anywhere. Thankfully, a couple friend agreed to come over and stay with me so that I was not left struggling alone, managing sick Tanay, buying groceries etc. My office colleagues came on and off too, but as it was vacation time, they had plans and they felt sorry that they couldn't be with me. But I understand their situation and I can't thank all the people enough who in some form or the other were there when I needed their emotional support.

And to add to the spoilt mood, exactly on the Christmas day and the next, it rained a lot and it was very dull and grey outside. It was the saddest and most boring time of my life. I didn't see any person on the road, no noise, no sound, no celebrations in public, it wasn't even a white Christmas. All shops were closed for 2 days. Buses and trains were plying, though not regularly like on other days. I am sure the people would be celebrating with their own people in the confines of their homes, but for me, my people, Atul and my parents and friends all were away, in India. Tanay was of course there, but he is too small to give me company and understand the external factors. He was trying to find some entertainment in the things available at home. He suddenly got very possessive about mobile phones and laptops and I tried very badly to divert his attention, with little or no success. I thought, it will be all right, once his baba returns. So, I am waiting for our routine and lives to get back to normal!

Merry Christmas!?

Neeeeee

I really hope and wish this was the first and last Christmas, so dull and so gloomy and so sad!!

1 comment:

  1. I have full empathy for you Mrunalini... hope the new year eve turns out to be fun :)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...