28 April 2013

Cross cultural workshop

I got a mail in my mailbox one fine day saying that I need to attend a workshop wherein they give tips to get integrated into the German culture without any problems. I thought to myself "another fun filled day" at work. I was very sceptical to go to the workshop because I had heard not very good things about it from one of my colleagues. She was amongst Indians at the workshop who were speaking their own mother-tongue and who had brought kids and wives to the seminar and a mini-India was formed there which left her a little alone.

When I reached there,  I was relieved to find only 3 other Indians other than me. It was a mixed group and there were Serbians, Chinese, American, Russian, Mexican also. And the best part was that the trainer was Indian. She had a strange British accent though she was settled in Germany for 25 years now. But she was damn good.  She knew her subject well and had a great control on the group.

We got a great information on Germany and Germans and the history and culture and we compared it with our cultures. We found out that we are all same after all with little differences here and there. We all have strengths and weaknesses.  We all are good at some things and extremely bad at other things. We all are social beings with little difference here and there. No culture is good or bad. It depends on what you make out of it.

I have now decided to stop comparing India an Germany and take the best of both the cultures and enjoy every moment of my stay here. I want to take good memories of this beautiful country and also give a very good share of my talents and capabilities to this country. I want to make good use of the resources available here. I want to try out new things here which are not possible doing in India. I want to go back with a few German friends and prove the notion wrong that Germans are cold and unfriendly.  I want to go home enriched and satisfied.

Hey Germany here I come!!!

1 comment:

  1. True... we may be divided by race, ethnicity, culture and nationality but we are human beings with same emotions and human values. When we realise that, connecting to anyone doesn't feel any different.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...