21 July 2012

The glorious moment

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, we have no track of time and days and months whatsoever.

Our day starts with Tanay and ends with Tanay. There is hardly anything else in our agenda and why should it be? With a 3 months old baby in the house, nothing else should really matter.

Last week, we had guests from Mumbai. My mom-in-law's mother, aged 82, her sister and brother-in-law visited us in Bangalore to meet Tanay. As the original plan of we going to Mumbai and Pune got scrapped, they decided to come over to see my baby. And that week was like a bonus to Tanay. Anyways, we were 5 people in the house already and these 3 made it even merrier for him. He enjoyed a lot, laughed a lot with them and gave them a nice time.

My grandmother, my dad's mother, aged 86 is with me since a month and a half now and with the arrival of another great grandmother of Tanay, we decided to hold a small ceremony for both of them and Tanay. In Maharashtrians, it is a custom that when a great grandchild is born, his/her great grandmother/-father shower flowers made of gold on him as it is believed that it is a golden moment for both of them. It is a rare phenomenon in earlier days, but nowadays, I have seen many families who have 4 generations intact.

So on a week day, we dressed up Tanay with new clothes and also asked his great grandmothers to put on their best saris. Then he was given in their laps and along with few grains, small golden flowers were showered on Tanay by them. I managed to click that moment and it will be forever etched in my memory. Tanay is really lucky that his old great grandmothers could see him and bless him with their love and affection. That photo is going to be a souvenir and I hope one day Tanay will be able to show his grandchildren, the portrait with his great grandmothers!

Amen!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...