17 May 2012

Hours in darkness

It has been close to 10 months now that we shifted to our own house.

My apartment has all the modern amenities like generator backup, swimming pool, club house, gymnasium and yes most important is that we have water for 24 hrs. It is like most of the modern home projects nowadays.

But suddenly on last Saturday, there was a deluge of rain in Bangalore and the electric supply went off. We were not bothered much as the generator starts in a minute or two and then the lights are on again. Only thing is that equipments like fridge, washing machine, microwave, geyser do not work. But that it is fine as long as there is light in the evening time.

To our dismay, we realized that the generator for our B block did not start as expected and that it has gone kaputt. Trials of starting it went in vain and for almost 3 hrs, we were in darkness with no light and no water. Yes, no water either cos the boring water was not pumped in the water storage tanks as there was no electricity.


With my 1 month old baby and my parents, I sat in the darkness and wondered how times have changed. I was fuming because the generator was not working and there was darkness everywhere and it was just going to be for some hours. How did my grandmother and her mother work in darkness without any complaints? How did people survive and enjoy life with no modern gadgets? There were no fans in my great grandmother's village till I was in 6th standard, but still life went on, quite smoothly.

Has the tolerance level of my generation has dipped big time? We have become so much dependent on the gadgets and technology that a minute away from them seems like eternity. Instead of enjoying the cool winds and rains that day, I was worried when will the electric supply be restored? I was more worried about my baby boy Tanay. I didn't want him to be in discomfort because of mosquitoes and other stuff.

Finally the electric supply was restored after 3 hours and yes, we are still waiting for the generator of our block to be repaired. As soon as it is 4 pm here, the atmosphere starts building up for the rains. So we keep candles handy and also store water in the bathroom like good old times.

1 comment:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...