03 March 2012

You live only once

Madhuri was so excited that day over breakfast.

"My leave for the long w/e in January is finally approved and I am going to Coorg with my husband and his friends".

I was happy to know that because from the past 1 week she was speculating if she is going to get leave or not, whether she is going to enjoy the long w/e of 4 days! Madhuri was my new breakfast mate. She worked in the same team as my best friend, Tina. Tina left the company, but she introduced me to Madhuri and then when Madhuri moved to my office from another branch of our company, we started going together for breakfast and tea etc. We started chatting about various things on the Office Communicator. She previously worked in the same company where I worked before joining the present company. So most of our talks were how good that company was and how different this company is!

She had recently got married after a courtship of 5 years with her boyfriend. They were a cool couple and they both worked in different shifts. He worked in night shifts and she in the day shift. So the only quality time they really got to spend with each other was on w/e. And they seemed quite ok with it. I can't imagine meeting Atul only on w/e. I would have not got married in the first place if we were not going to be with each other. But this couple seemed to be enjoying their "personal space" with no qualms. How different have the ideas of spending married life together become over the time! It leaves me awestruck, But yeah, it is a personal choice and as long as an individual is happy with what he/she is doing, it must be good for them, I suppose.

So I wished her lots of fun and enjoyment for the long w/e. I was not going anywhere for those 4 days. I am kind of stranded now from the time my third trimester has started. But then rest is necessary for me, so I can't complain. Most of the public in the city was out and the roads were empty for those 4 days. I chilled at home, watched movies, slept and was ready to go to office on Monday.

I waited for Madhuri to come for breakfast in the morning on Monday, but she didn't turn up. I thought she must have been tired from the trip and so she might come late. I inquired with her other team mates, but they didn't have any news. That day, I was having a very wierd feeling after talking to her team mates. They were hiding something from me, I thought. But then I got busy in work and then suddenly Tina called me.

Tina sounded very serious. I thought something must have happened at her home. We are very close and we discuss a lot of things, personal and professional! But then she said, it is about Madhuri and that I should take it very slowly without getting tensed. I was getting impatient and she finally told me that Madhuri's husband met with an accident in Coorg and that he is no more. It hit me immensely. I didn't know what to say and how to react. Madhuri was so happy on Wednesday, we talked that day about the plans and fun she was going to have there and how come this tragedy struck her there? It seemed as if death dragged her husband to Coorg to take him away from Madhuri.

That whole day I was restless, it set me into thinking. How unpredictable are our lives! We take our partners, our friends, our family members for granted and then suddenly something like this happens which compels us to re-think about our behavior and attitude towards our near and dear ones. I can't even imagine what Madhuri must be going through at this time. She had lost her love of life with whom she was planning to start a family soon. She was the only child to her parents. Her dreams were shattered and so were her parent's dreams! How can they bear their daughter's loss at this age? God give Madhuri and her family and her in-laws strength to cope up with this irreplacable loss!

People, sorry to have deviated from the cheerful mode of my earlier posts, but I needed to pen this down somewhere. To tell my friends and family, near and dear ones that do not lose a single day fretting, fuming, getting angry on each other, love and spread love, stay connected with each other. We have only one chance of a lifetime given by that Almighty. It is in our hands to make the best of it or to make the worse of it. Appreciate small things around you, admire nature, accept people as they are and be connected with your inner self.

We get to live only once!

Make the most of it!

2 comments:

  1. It's shocking to read about your friend Madhuri. Reading this post makes me rethink my priorities in regards to all the people in my life.

    Yes we get to live only once and must make the most of it with the people near and dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of our (rohan and my) childhood friend whom we lost just a month ago in a massive heart attack.

    I have only tears to express but yes as very rightly said life is very uncertain so live each moment. Be happy, stop complaining, appreciate what is good and stay connected.

    Both life and death have a very profound meaning.

    U take care and dont stress urself and the baby.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...