15 May 2018

My mother is the most beautiful woman on earth

I had read the story titled 'My mother is the most beautiful woman on earth' in school and I very well remember the teacher who taught it to us in Secondary School. Ms. Majumdar was well versed with English and was an excellent orator. She was also the head teacher and she also choreographed our skits and dances for the Annual Day. She was always very warm and smiling and a favorite among the students. The story goes like this:
This is based on a Russian folk tale. It takes place in the Ukraine. A little girl, maybe five or six years old, is helping her parents harvest wheat. It's the last day of the harvest, and the girl is a little bit tired, so she takes a nap in the middle of the wheat field, and wakes up and can't find her parents. She goes looking for them and finds a group of peasants. She's distraught because she can't find her parents, and they ask her what her name or her parents' names are, and she's incoherent because she's so upset. Finally, she blurts out, "My mother's the most beautiful woman in the world."  The peasants take that as useful information, so they go find all the beautiful women they can, and bring them to her. They keep asking her if these super beautiful women are her mom, but she keeps saying no.

Finally, her mother shows up, looking for her daughter, and her mom is a pudgy woman with squint eyes, and they are very surprised as according to them she is nowhere close to beautiful.

Who doesn't consider their mother the most beautiful woman on the earth? I do! She gives us birth and she is the first person through whom we see this world. She gives us warmth and food and treats us like we are the most precious things on this earth. She doesn't let us cry and tells us stories and expands our horizons for imagination and self-belief. She cooks for us, takes care that we are not ill and sick. There are countless little things which does every day for us and we start taking them for granted after some time. 

My mother has always been a strong support in my life. When I was in school, we had a love-hate relationship. But as I went to college, we became very close. She is more of a friend than a mother. She listens to me and peps me up when I am mentally down. We talk daily and we are never short of topics. We always have something or the other to tell to each other. She always tells me to see the positive things around me rather than brooding over what I don't have. She is a trekker, very fit and her laugh is contagious. She is a great believer in the Almighty and has immense faith that good wishes and thoughts and intentions do come true when told to the universe. She is extremely social and has many groups of friends in different walks of life. She lives her life to the fullest and treats every day as valuable and as a present. She keeps me motivated and charged and I can't thank her enough for whatever she has done for me till now. She feels proud to be identified as "my" mother more than I feel proud to have her as my mother. The feeling of being lucky is mutual. 

So here's wishing you Aai and all the moms who are working tirelessly to make their kids better and sensitive human beings, a very happy Mother's Day. Thanks for shaping my life. Thanks for making me a strong mother. Thanks for guiding me. I may not see it often but I love you and shall always pray for your good health and happiness.


1 comment:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...