27 September 2011

Wrong number

Sorry folks to have been not very active on the blog recently.

There were so many things happening around me that I was totally caught up in them and my writing had to take a backseat. Nevertheless, I am back again with a very fresh and burning topic in my life.

From the past 1 month, I was been pestered by 2 cell numbers, which I did not know or recognise.

It all started with Kannada messages from 1 unknown number. Thankfully, I do not understand Kannada very much, so whatever he/she was sending was Greek and Latin for me. I tried to overlook it for some days. I also messaged that person that please stop sending messages as I do not know you. But I think that person did not even understand English. I tried calling that number many times, no one picked it up. I tried from different numbers, but still in vain! The sound of SMS irritated me to core now because now I knew that it will be from that unknown number. One day I got around 15 SMS from that number. I thought of approaching the police at one point of time. My husband was cool about this. You know how men take all these things. He just told me to ignore it. How was I supposed to ignore it if I was been pestered throughout the day with some non-sensical jokes and SMS from some unknown fool? I kept my cool for some more days and then one day, I blew it off. I messaged that number in my broken Kannada that if you ever message me again, I will have to approach the police. That person might have got the message, he stopped for 2 days and on the eve of Ganpati festival, I called him because he had the audacity to message me again. I blasted him, he seemed some college going boy, totally vagabond types. He was speaking in Kannada and I was shouting in English. He was constantly asking me if I did not know Kannada, how come I messaged him in Kannada. But I was so angry on him, if he would have been there in person, I would have slapped him left and right. Thankfully, he did not bother me after that and I was relieved that finally the torture is over.

But, I was wrong. Another number started messaging me in English and he even told me his name, he seemed like a college student too and messaged me saying that he "just" wants friendship from me, nothing else. My blood pressure rose again. I tried in all possible ways to tell him that I am not the person he is looking for. But no, he just won't stop. I was going through all that mental torture again. I even collected information about how to lodge a complaint and where and what all proof do I need for the same? Then one day he sent SMS at 10:30 pm. My husband was sitting with me and I showed it to him and asked him to call that number immediately and clear the matter. Enough was enough. Atul spoke to him in his usual cool demeanor and convinced him that he doesn't know this person and that he should stop messaging at once. Thankfully that person got the hint and he stopped troubling me. From that day I am living in peace, but at the back of mind, I have the fear that something will start again from some other number.

I really do not understand this generation. What are they upto? Don't they have anything better in life than to pester people whom they do not know at all? Flauting a mobile has become a symbol of being "in" the peer group. Mobiles have brought people closer, no doubt, but they have also become a nuisance. I receive at least 10 messages from vendors who want to sell their products. Dr. Batras, Airtel DTH services, Herbs and Spices, Dominos are the regular ones and others do their work dutifully once a while. Now thankfully, I have requested Airtel to stop unwanted SMS from unwanted sources.

I wish Airtel or the mobile phone companies like Nokia, Samsung, Sony come up with some mechanism where we can also block unwanted personal messages coming from unknown people. High end mobiles might be having it, but not everyone has them.

Have you faced something like this anytime and what was your solution for the same?

4 comments:

  1. Hehehehe… pardon me if I sound rude but your situation was hilarious… Said that I do understand the irritation one feels when he or she is barged with unwanted calls and sms… such thing has happened to me sometime back when some rowdy person kept calling me demanding for his money and when I tried to clarify that he has called a wrong number he was just not convinced…. He still kept to his believe that I am his fraud friend who is absconding with his money!!! It was really tough to get rid of him …

    Nice write up… and congratulations on breaking your silence on the blue sky  the 100th blog is not too far… and am eager to read that 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aree…..

    Same thing is happening with me!!

    A person from Calcutta keeps on messaging some stupid jokes and giving missed calls.

    The frequency of messages and calls have reduced after Atul gave his piece of mind on the phone,, but still I get messages ….

    Really irritating!!:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I shifted to Pune and used to stay all alone, I too used to get those messages. All I did was recorded all that he said on another cell. I even went ahead to play that record for him and warned him that I will directly go to media and make him feel ashamed in front of the world. From next day, till date I have not received even any miss call from him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read all other comments....n mine is not different either :)
    yes its is very irritating....n happened to me very recently here in AUS....i think i asked u too if atul has come to AUS....some crazy person was messaging me "guess who am I?,"
    was very irritating...fortunately it stopped after a while....
    n yes...same like in ur case, here amit too was totally chilled out on this thing....n told me to just ignore it...

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...